We are a little over 6 weeks in and the amount of stuff we have ordered from Amazon is crazy – I thought I had everything we needed but was totally not prepared in some areas.
These are a few of my favorite items, though I feel like every day I have a new one. All of my baby items can be found here and in this Amazon shop! Feel free to DM me any questions! Motherhood is so hard and so rewarding and we all need support!
Everyone’s journey with breastfeeding is unique and different, but a fed baby is best no matter how they get fed. Say that 3x to yourself and remind yourself of it daily.
I highly suggest a lactation consultant, my pediatrician has one, the hospital where I delivered has a hotline and a group that meets weekly you can drop in. Google it you can find someone to help that is affordable with no problem. With that said here are a few things that I have found invaluable so far:
- My Breastfriend Deluxe Pillow – Love this pillow thing, great for back support and the clip allows it to sit up high enough where the boppy didn’t cut it for me
- Nipple Shield – If you are struggling with a latch try it, if it’s hurting try it. I try to get a good latch and use this as a last resort or late at night when I’m exhausted. It was and still is a lifesaver for me.
- Muslin Burp Cloths – You really can’t have enough of these, they are all over our house lol. The Muslin is so soft and also great to roll up and use to prop your hands when nursing too.
- Nursing Cart – Really it’s just prepared to sit for up to an hour – water, phone, snacks, hair tie, burp cloth, etc. I get insanely thirsty when I nurse or pump so water is my number
- Elvie Breast Pump – Worth every penny to be truly hands-free and on the go when pumping. Don’t tie yourself to a wall or have to get a special bra. Just get this pump – check insurance first for a discount!
I should have known Colorado is so dry baby girl is bound to get boogers and snot! The first time we used it I could hear her wearing it and called in clay to figure it out. Within seconds, we had sucked out all the snot. I actually really enjoy doing it too!
- Frida Baby Nasal Aspirator Snotsucker – The manual is best, I ordered the electric one and it doesn’t do anything
- Frida Saline Nasal Spray – Spray before you suck also helps with the hard ones
They teach you how to swaddle in the hospital and Clay got pretty good at it but after a few fails I looked for a few of the swaddled I know I had been gifted. We tried Ollie swaddle first and boom swaddled in no time. Next, the Halo sleep swaddle is recommended by our doctor. Boom swaddle in no time! By far the easiest is the “Love to Dream” swaddle that is like a sleep sack that lets babies keep their hands up.
Kyte Baby Zippies & Magnetic Me Sleepys
When you need to change a diaper and you have to undress your little one you want it to be fast and easy. Everyone said the Kyte Baby zippies are the best and they are super soft, made from bamboo (sustainable) and easy to take on and off, and they are! I just ordered 2 more in the next size up for Callie.
Then a gf sent me a Magnetic Me sleeper and my world changed. The Magnetic Me’s are amazing this sleeping goes on and off aligning fast and I love that I can get it in organic cotton too! The Magnetic Me are expensive so add them to your registry! Just avoid buttons it takes 10x longer!
Doona & Upababy Stroller
There are a lot of strollers out there and it’s confusing to figure out what you need. The Doona was recommended by all of my girlfriends and given as a group gift at my shower. This is by far the greatest invention of our time. EVERYONE NEEDS THIS.
This stroller is like the transformer of strollers it’s a car seat and stroller in one. So rather than have a car seat and a stroller when you need to go run an errand or go to the doctor you just pop her in the Doona car seat and it transforms into a stroller. The Doona is only for the first year and then you transition to a car seat and regular stroller.
We got the Uppababy Vista Stoller as our “Regular Stroller” – another highly recommended product we have loved so far. We use the bassinet as her sleeping bassinet with the stand and for walks, we got the infant insert. You can use the bassinet with the stroller but I really like the infant insert so baby girl can be a little more upright and secure.
This is a stroller you grow with, we will be using it for years. The Vista can also fit two babies/kids! Sophie, our wiener dog really enjoys riding on the bottom too. Oh and this is a great cup and phone holder for your stroller too!
Taking Cara Babies Class
All my friends swore by the Moms on Call book – and I do suggest it, we are on the MOC schedule but the Taking Cara Babies class is a game-changer. MOC is an outline and Taking Cara Babies fills in the gaps. You learn about your baby’s hunger and sleep cues, wake windows, and how to soothe a fussy baby. I bought this after a rough day with Callie and learned soooo much. Callie was sleeping through the night like a champ at 5 weeks! Seriously this class is a must for all moms – also follow on IG too!